Records Manager (temporary employment)
Applications are currently being accepted for a temporary Records Manager position at the International Bureau of the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA). It concerns a project-based assignment for the duration of one year. The position is an amalgamation of records management, knowledge and information management as well as data protection. The successful candidate will be assisting the PCA, among other things, with the establishment of an effective control mechanism that appropriately manages the organization’s records from their creation through to their eventual disposal.
The PCA is the oldest intergovernmental organization in The Hague, founded at the first Hague Peace Conference in 1899 to provide a forum for the resolution of international disputes through arbitration and other peaceful means. It is situated in the Peace Palace, which was constructed to house the PCA and completed in 1913. The staff of the PCA is comprised of approximately 50 legal, editorial, and administrative staff members of various nationalities, dedicated to facilitating the resolution of disputes involving states, state entities, international organizations and private parties.
The duties of the temporary Records Manager will include, among other things:
- Reviewing current records management systems and processes, and implementing improvements that suit the organization’s needs in a way that its information can be stored, shared, assessed, and refined in the most practical yet safe manner. In doing so, the current use of overlapping resources, databases and platforms should be addressed and brought down to a minimum.
- Designing, developing and implementing of a records management policy and a business classification scheme;
- Designing, developing and implementing retention and disposal schedules including scope notes;
- Establishing a standardized referencing system and a Thesaurus of Index Terms;
- Procuring archival module software or specialist cataloguing software;
- Cataloguing the archival collection plus archival description;
- Appraising the archival collection for digitization including basic damage assessment;
- Managing the digitization process of the archival collection;
- Designing, developing and implementing a paperless intake system for records;
- Designing, developing and implementing an information security policy (including safeguards to ensure the longevity of electronic material);
- Establishing a disaster recovery/emergency plan;
- Promoting good records management practice and adherence through day to day advice; delivering training sessions and presentations to managers and staff at all levels to ensure the consistent application of standards.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will have the following skills, qualities, qualifications and experience:
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of the theory and practice of records management, information management, archiving and data protection, obtained through a post-graduate qualification in related field(s);
- High level of computer literacy and in particular a good grasp of IT systems to support record management;
- Extensive working experience in abovementioned fields;
- Good project management and organisational skills;
- Strong discipline and ability to work against specific deadlines;
- Capacity to manage a busy workload and commitment to delivering a high standard of work;
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Skilled communicator who can work easily with a diversity of people and is able to communicate complex and detailed information in both written and verbal form to staff at all levels; ability to bridge potential differences effectively;
- Affinity with or working experience within legal environments and/or intergovernmental organizations is an asset;
- Fluency in written and spoken English is a requirement; working knowledge of French is an asset.
The PCA, being an intergovernmental organization, enjoys certain privileges and immunities in the Netherlands. Remuneration is to be discussed with qualified applicants.
The deadline for applications is 28 February 2019. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and CV by e-mail to: [email protected]. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted.