Second PCA Mauritius Vis Pre-Moot
On 9 March 2023, the office of the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA) in Mauritius, hosted practice moot rounds remotely for the 30th Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot and the 20th Vis East Moot.
During the PCA Mauritius Vis Pre-Moot, each team had the chance to plead before tribunals composed of international arbitration specialists from various jurisdictions and legal backgrounds. The teams received detailed feedback on their pleadings in order to assist their preparation before the Vis East Moot which commences on 19 March 2023, and the Vis Moot, which commences on 4 April 2023.
The following teams attended the Mauritius Vis Pre-Moot:
- Addis Ababa University – Ethiopia
- Ain Shams University, Faculty of Law English Section – Egypt
- Maharashtra National Law University Mumbai [East] – India
- National Research University Higher School of Economics – Russia
- National University of Lviv – Ukraine
- NOVA School of Law – Portugal
- Peking University – China
- Royal Institute of Colombo – Sri Lanka
- Royal University for Women – Bahrain
- Sorbonne Assas International Law School – Mauritius
- Universidade Eduardo Mondlane – Mozambique
- University of Cape Town – South Africa
- University of Ljubljana – Slovenia
- University of Nairobi – Kenya
- University of Oxford – United Kingdom
- University of Pretoria – South Africa
After three rounds, the winning team of the PCA Mauritius Vis Pre-Moot was the University of Oxford, based on the win-loss ranking system. The runner-up was the Royal University for Women, while the Maharashtra National Law University Mumbai placed third. The oralist with the highest score was Ms. On-Ying Angel Chan, from University of Oxford.
During the closing ceremony, Ms. Andrea Lapunzina Veronelli, PCA Representative in Mauritius, noted that this edition of the Vis Moot was especially meaningful as the PCA Rules were used in the case. The PCA would like to thank all teams and arbitrators, for making the second edition of the PCA Mauritius Vis Pre-Moot a tremendous success. The PCA wishes all teams the best of luck for the forthcoming competitions.