PCA Vis Pre-Moot 2019
On 8 and 9 April 2019, the PCA hosted pre-moot rounds for the Twenty Sixth Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot. The following teams attended:
– Dar Al-Hekma University (Saudi Arabia);
– Getúlio Vargas Foundation, São Paulo (Brazil);
– Leiden University (Netherlands);
– Maastricht University (Netherlands);
– McGill University (Canada);
– Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (Brazil);
– Sciences Po Law School (France);
– Stetson University College of Law (United States);
– University of Bonn (Germany);
– University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney (Australia);
– University of Sydney (Australia); and
– West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences (India).
Over two days, each team had the chance to plead four times (twice on behalf of the Claimant and twice on behalf of the Respondent) before tribunals composed of international arbitration specialists from various jurisdictions and legal backgrounds. The teams received detailed feedback on their pleadings so as to assist with their preparation before the competition commences in Vienna on 12 April 2019.
After four rounds, the team with the highest average total score was the University of Notre Dame Australia, Sydney (Australia). The runner-up was the University of Sydney (Australia), while Sciences Po Law School (France) placed third. The oralist with the highest score was Ms. Beata Szabo from the University of Sydney (Australia).
The PCA would like to thank all teams and arbitrators for making the pre-moot a success once again. The PCA wishes all teams the best of luck for the competition in Vienna.