The PCA Peace Palace Centenary Seminar, October 11, 2013
The PCA will hold a seminar on October 11, 2013, for invitees only, to commemorate the centenary of the Peace Palace. The Peace Palace was constructed, through the generous donation of Andrew
Carnegie, in order to house the Permanent Court of Arbitration. Formally inaugurated on August 28, 1913, and maintained ever since by the Carnegie Foundation, the Peace Palace has come to be recognized globally as the icon of international peace and justice. The PCA Seminar is part of a series of commemorative events, organized by the Carnegie Foundation, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the municipality of The Hague, taking place in The Hague throughout the months of August to October 2013.
The theme of the seminar will reflect one of the PCA’s most significant areas of activity. Under the title “Confronting Global Challenges: From Gunboat Diplomacy to Investor-State Arbitration” a panel composed of leading arbitrators will consider current challenges facing those who participate in and those who are affected by the ever-growing sphere of investor-state arbitration.
The seminar will take place in the afternoon of October 11, 2013. Invitations to the event will be issued shortly. Registration for invitees will close on September 30, 2013. The seminar will be preceded by a luncheon reception for participants. In honour of the occasion, a special meeting of the Members of the Permanent Court of Arbitration will be convened in the morning. For information about the centennial events organized by the Carnegie Foundation throughout 2013, please click here.
Confronting Global Challenges: From Gunboat Diplomacy to Investor-State Arbitration
October 11, 2013
Academy Building, Peace Palace, The Hague
Professor Jan Paulsson
Judge Peter Tomka
Professor James Crawford SC
Judge Sir Christopher Greenwood CMG
Professor Brigitte Stern