Review Panel established under the Convention on the Conservation and Management of High Seas Fishery Resources in the South Pacific Ocean
The PCA provided assistance in proceedings conducted by a Review Panel established under Article 17 and Annex II of the Convention on the Conservation and Management of High Seas Fishery Resources in the South Pacific Ocean (that entered into force on 24 August 2012) (the “Convention”), with regard to the Objection by the Russian Federation to the Conservation and Management Measure for Trachurus murphyi (CMM 1.01) adopted by the Commission of the South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation (the “Commission”) at its First Meeting held from 28 January to 1 February 2013. These were the first proceedings of their kind under the Convention. On 5 July 2013, the Review Panel issued its Findings and Recommendations. On the same date, one member of the Review Panel issued a Separate Opinion.
|Name(s) of Claimant(s)||(- Other -)|
|Name(s) of Respondent(s)||(- Other -)|
|Names of Parties||
- Russian Federation: Dr. Vladimir A. Belyaev, Representative of the Federal Agency for Fisheries; Mr. Alexander Glubokov, Head of the International Section of GUP All Russian Scientific Research Institute of Fisheries; Ms. Sofia Sarenkova, Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Netherlands; Mr. Vasily Titushkin, Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Netherlands; Ms. Daria Golubkova, Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Netherlands; and Ms. Evgeniya Yakusheva, Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Netherlands
- Republic of Chile: Mr. Juan Martabit, Ambassador of Chile in the Netherlands; Mr. Edgard Eckholt, First Secretary, Embassy of Chile in the Netherlands; Ms. María Alicia Baltierra, Subsecretaría de Pesca y Acuicultura, República de Chile; Ms. Katherine Bernal, Subsecretaría de Pesca y Acuicultura, República de Chile; and Mr. David Quiroga, Dirección de Medio Ambiente y Asuntos Marítimos, Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores, República de Chile.
- New Zealand: Mr. Gerard van Bohemen, Deputy Secretary for Secretary of Foreign Affiars and Trade, New Zealand.
- European Union Delegation to the SPRFMO: Ms. Veronika Veits, Head of Unit, Head of EU Delegation to SPRFMO.
- Chinese Taipei: Ms. Nicole Su, Director, Political Division, Taipei Representative Office in the Netherlands; Ms. Min-huei Tzeng, Officer, Department of International Organizations, Ministry of Foreign Affairs; and Mr. Raymond Chen-En Sung, Secretary, Tang Prize in Rule of Law Office, Academia Sinica
- Commission of the SPRFMO: Mr. Bill Mansfield, Chairperson.
- South Pacific Regional Fisheries Management Organisation: Mr. Robin Allen, Acting Executive Secretary of the Secretariat.
|Administering institution||Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA)|
|Type of case||Other proceedings|
|Subject matter or economic sector||Agriculture, forestry and fishing|
|Rules used in arbitral proceedings||Ad Hoc Rules of Procedure|
|Treaty or contract under which proceedings were commenced||OTHER (Multilateral treaty)|
|Language of Proceeding||English|
|Seat of Arbitration (by Country)||- N/A -|
The members of the Review Panel were:
Professor Bernard H. Oxman
Dr. Kamil A. Bekyashev
Sra. Valeria Carvajal
|Representatives of the Claimant(s)||
|Representatives of the Respondent(s)||
|Representatives of the Parties|
|Number of Arbitrators in case||3|
|Date of commencement of proceeding||19 April 2013|
|Date of issue of final award||05 July 2013|
|Length of Proceedings||Less than one year|